top image


Personal Budgets for Special Educational Needs

When is an EHC needs assessment necessary?

Early year settings or schools give children or young people with SEN additional support to meet their needs. This is called SEN support.

If your child does not make progress despite SEN support, an EHC needs assessment might be the next step.

The SEND Code of Practice says:

A Local Authority must conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs when it considers that it may be necessary for special educational provision to be made for the child or young person in accordance with an EHCP (9.3)

This means to get an assessment you will need to show that your child/ young person may have SEN and may need an EHCP.

You can find out more about requesting an EHC needs assessment in the SEND Code of Practice sections 9.3 and 9.8 to 9.19.

Previous PageLeaflet Index PageNext Page